ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Sidepull ?

Re: Sidepull ?

Tracy Stampke (zebella@idt.net)
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:41:47 -0700

Cheryl Newbanks wrote:

> At 11:36 AM 2/19/97 EST, you wrote:
> > I've ordered a sidepull bridle for my young horse. I've been riding
> > him for a while in a halter which he really likes and decided to go
> > ahead and buy a sidepull to try. I've never seen one up close on a
> > horse so I'm curious about how you fit it. Do you leave the noseband
> > loose, snug, high on the nose, halter height????? Advice appreciated.
> >
> > Bonnie Snodgrass
> >

> I would like to know about this too. I am riding my green horse in a
> Parelli halter bridle and I would like a little something more than that.
> Is a sidepull easy on the horse or is it harsh as compared to a vosal, or a
> bosal?
>
> Cheryl Newbanks
> ~~^** Just In Time Ranch
> ~~}_ _~~ /\| Buckeye, AZ
> ( )__, ) ~ horsetrails@inficad.com
> // \\
> \\ //
> ** **

Cheryl. I had a mare whom I rode in a sidepull the entire time I owned
her, all over the Superstion Mountains.

If you ordered a sidepull with a rope noseband, it can chaff all the
hair off the nose, if you're constantly having to pull. I did this on
my gelding, and solved the problem with latex bit wrap. A fleecy nose
cover would also work.

As to fit, I always ride with mine approximately in the same place as
the halter sits. About an inch below the nose bones. I also keep the
sidepull fairly snug (but not tight) if its slopping all over, it's not
gonna have much effect. I also found that it doesn't work well if you
try to use it over the top of a nylon halter, haven't tried it over the
skinny rope one though.

Hope this helps, I love riding with these (and so do the horses) matter
of fact I'm ordering one of the new mountain rope ones...

Tracy Stampke

Zebella Anatolians