ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: helping others

Re: helping others

adrienne suzanne pape (pape@students.uiuc.edu)
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 21:15:44 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, tina hicks wrote:

> RE: experienced riders helping beginners
> A good thing to do is "hook up" with an experienced person or find a mentor
> so to speak. This does not have to be someone that lives close enough to you
> that you ride together every day - rather someone that will be at the rides
> you go to, you can camp next to maybe and start out with on the ride, will
> talk to you via email, phone or whatever. That person can then show you the
> ropes, introduce you to others at a ride, etc...Of course if you are truly
> new to the sport finding that mentor can be hard but forums like this really
> help. Don't be afraid to email someone offline saying "I saw your post on
> the endurance list and.....".
>
> Tina

I wanted to add to the 'mentor discussion' my own experiences.
When I first joined ridecamp several months ago, I posted a simple
message asking if anyone was in my area here in Illinois. I recieved a
note from Bruce Nagel who was more than willing to help me on my way to
becoming an endurance rider. Although he and his wife live 3 hours away,
I go as often as I can, and am learning TONS. I definately agree that
finding a more experienced person to help you learn (although not
necessary) is a great opportunity. Just because you may be new to the
list or endurance riding, don't be afraid to ask for advice. There are far
more people out there who would LOVE to help than people who don't want
to be bothered.
Good luck to everyone getting started!

Adrienne

NEW QUOTES!
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
Lao-Tse

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if
you just sit there."
Will Rogers