ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: trailering question

Re: trailering question

nick Warhol (nwarhol@ix8.ix.netcom.com)
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 11:41:00 -0600 (CST)

When we take our horses on any long trailer ride, we always stop every four
hours and let them out of the trailer. We spend fifteen minutes letting
them walk around, and if there is dirt handy, we encourage them to roll. I
always make it a point to clean out the trailer as best I can at the stops,
so the air stays as fresh as it can back there. (we always use lots of clean
shavings in the back) We provide hay and water in the mangers on long
trips, and the horses do drink while under way.

My biggest trailering concern is summertime heat. We have a Logan Champion
2 horse slant trailer with large drop down doors. As long as the trailer is
moving, the roof vents provide ample air for the horses. If you get stuck
in traffic, or stop in a hot parking lot, it can get miserable back there
right quick. If you ever wonder about that, go take a ride in the trailer
in the middle of summer; you won't want to stop for that cheese burger when
it is hot out. There are special screens available to cover up the huge
holes if you leave the drop down doors open when it is really hot, but I
wouldn't let the horses stick their heads out of the open windows while
under way.

Nick Warhol

Hawyard, Ca.