ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: Helmet Rules

RE: Helmet Rules

Joane Pappas White (lyoness@castlenet.com)
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 09:14:07 -0700

>To: "Connie Hoge" <pvtevt@msn.com>
>From: lyoness@castlenet.com (Joane Pappas White)
>Subject: RE: Helmet Rules
>
>>Dear Connie,
>
>I also appreciate your views and even shared many of them a few years ago.
To date, I still only wear my seatbelt part of the time and other safety
features about 50%, but that does not mean that I believe I am right any more.

>I am an adult and so are you. The choices we make GENERALLY only affect us
and our immediate loved ones so I could agree to our assumption of the risk
as long as our injuries don't burden society. Unfortunately, seriously
injured people (that often describes closed head injuries and spinal cord
injuries associated with riding) most often DO end up being cared for on a
long term basis by the rest of taxpaying society. If you spent much time
with a brain damaged individual and the family that cares for him, you would
really rethink your position on safety devices. It is truly heart
wrenching--particularly when a safety device could have prevented the injury.

>When it comes to children, I believe we have a responsibility and legal
duty to require the highest level of protection. The child's ability to
evaluate is limited--choice is basically what the parents project into the
child. I really do believe that society has a vested interest in protecting
the health and safety of the next generation--even if that involves some
infrigement of personal freedoms.

>Yes, man was born nude. He was also born without fire, education,
medicine, law and in this hemisphere--he was also born without the horse. I,
for one, think that God gave man intelligence so that he could improve upon
the limitations of his body and his environment and safety gear is one
expression of that intelligence.