ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: help for biters

Re: help for biters

Bonnie Snodgrass (snodgrab@ncr.disa.mil)
Wed, 12 Feb 97 11:56:47 EST

I finally had to respond to this, I couldn't help myself. The gelding
I have now is "oral" but isn't a biter so I've dealt with it fairly
easily by giving him attention and teaching him what a growl means.
He's been very responsive. Now I have had to deal with some bad
BITER'S too and learned a good trick from someone years ago that works
with most.

A horse needs to learn that biting people just plain hurts and is
unpleasant. Ideally he shouldn't be swung at or struck by a person if
possible because he will likely just get punchy about swinging arms
and still be a biter. Some horses with an agressive streak will
actually play a game with you of, I attack you, you attack me, I
attack you back. Buuuut, most horse learn real fast on their own about
biting things that hurt. Let a horse hit a cactus or electric fence
just once with that sensitive nose/mouth and they have learned a
lesson.

So here's what you do. You have to set your horse up. You can use an
old metal curry comb if you like or a 16 penny nail (my preference).
Work around your horse, maybe grooming the shoulder so you are within
biting range. In the hand closest to the horses head hold your
prickley item. I hold a large dull pointed nail in my fist with just a
1/4" sticking out past my thumb and forefinger. These nails are too
dull to poke a hole in your horse and easily controlled. Hold your
hand so it is closer to your horse than any other part of your body,
very inviting. When he finally goes for it let him firmly run into the
nail with his lips or even grab a metal curry comb in his teeth. Ow!
They usually only try this a couple of times and you never swung at
them. They don't seem to connect that you intentionally did this, only
that you aren't good to eat. It all happens very fast so the action is
linked in their minds with their own action.

If you are cringing as you read this please remember that horses are
very large, physical creatures. They deal with each other every day by
physical contacts, threats and postureing. A horse asserts itself in a
group with kicks and bites then later can just threaten to kick. At
the track I was around some very dangerous biters and came to the
conclusion that they became that way from inconsistent, half-hearted
handling.

No this doesn't have anything to do with endurance other than we all
want to be able to safely handle our equine buddy's and not have them
chewing on the vet's or farriers.

Bonnie Snodgrass