ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: easyfoam

Re: easyfoam

DreamWeaver (karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us)
Sun, 09 Feb 1997 08:43:06 -0800

At 10:34 PM 2/8/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Is anyone out there using the easyfoam & boots over shoes? This is
>something that I want to try, but I'm a little unsure as to how to get
>the boots off with the foam...from what I heard it's tough.

I have used easy foam and boots over shoes at every ride I did last season.
One of my horses has done about 450 miles in them in the last year or so,
and he does very well. It does take practice. The first time I had to
remove them took the longest, but now I have figured it out and it is much
easier. I have typed up full instructions on using the boots and foam -
look in the archives, or on my web page at:
http://www.greatbasin.net/~sportssaddle/stories.html Scan down till you
find the part about 'easy boots'. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any
more questions.

>Do you put the boots on before you trailer to the ride? Wait till the
>night before...the morning of?

I usually wait until the evening before the ride. I like to do it before I
vet in, but only if time allows. Then, I usually leave them on afterwards
for the trailer ride home and take them off then.

>I also heard of people leaving the boots on for up to 6 weeks..anyone
>done this?

I've only left them on for two weeks. I prefer to use them for the event,
then remove them and put them back on when I need them. I have a second
horse who is barefoot and is ridden exclusively in easy boots. I will put
the boots on him on a Friday, then ride him all weekend and take them off on
Sunday. He does really well with them. Depending on how I am going to be
riding him (and where) I will boot up his fronts, or sometimes (like today!)
all four. I think it takes less time to get the boots on and off then it
would to clean out his feet if he were to have shoes on (I am so sick of
this mud!!). We have even gotten thru a few 12-15 mile training rides in
all sorts of terrain without losing a single boot (on all 4), so if anybody
out there needs any hints or tips on getting the boots to stay put, e-mail
me privately and I can go into further detail.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Dream Weaver