ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Backing Out of Horse Trailer

Re: Backing Out of Horse Trailer

Tracy Stampke (zebella@idt.net)
Sat, 08 Feb 1997 17:16:05 -0700

Jim & Julie Capaldi wrote:

> Help. This is not "endurance specific", but I value your opinion. I
> have this wonderful gelding. Loads great. Walks off trailer if you
> turn him around and lead out head first. Will not, however, back off
> the trailer.
>
> I have a Gore, three horse slant load trailer with permanent rear tack.
> It is a step not a ramp. So far, I have tried front feet first and then
> out. Backing in hand over logs, down hill. etc. He backs right up to
> the edge and when his rear foot touches the rubber guard. It's back up
> to the first stall.
>
> Now, I feel the temper starting to rise. Could really use your
> suggestions. Please e mail me privately, if this isn't a subject
> suitable for discussion. Thanks a million, Julie and Miada.

There is an article in the January 97 issue of Western Horseman that is
titled "Resolving an UN-loading problem"

Seems to be just the info your looking for, even the same type trailer-
3horse slant with rear tack. Although they did train the horse to
unload from that trailer, I believe they ended up buying another without
the rear tack. Personally, I'm afraid of having the rear tack...I know
several people who have had wrecks involving the small load area.

If you can't find this article, let me know, I will copy it and snail
mail it to you.

Tracy