ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Dr. Recommended Pedialyte

Re: Dr. Recommended Pedialyte

Jerry & Susan Milam (jdmilam@fwb.gulf.net)
Thu, 06 Feb 1997 05:32:46 -0800

rginia@dune.globe-net.net wrote:

> I don't know about giving Pedialyte to horses...but when I came off a hot 50
> miler in January with cramping in my legs...so severe that my shins ached
> unbearably during and after the ride. With over 1300 miles under my belt
> I'd never experienced such uncomfort (forget that...PAIN) during a ride.
>
> Our good friend, Diane Ebel, mentioned that it maybe due to an electrolyte
> imbalance. I had a doctors appointment during the next week so I told him
> about it and had him check me out (I had a knot in my shin).... The remedy
> was twofold 1. Don't flex so much (you know the "proper" heels down) 2.
> Pedialyte
>
> I tried both recommendations and my next two rides of 37 and 75 (supposed to
> have been 100's) I did FINE and no recurring problems..
>
> Case in point...we need to remember to take care of ourselves as well as we
> do our horses...I had forgotten that golden rule. Afterall, who's to take
> care of the horse if we can't?
>
> P.S. Pedialyte SMELLS better than it TASTES! (huh Rae?)
>
> Gini Wilson & CD Gaily
> *Closing in on 2000 Miles!*

Gini,

We tried something we've been giving our horses after a ride and it
really helped keep us from crampin and being sore.

We usually give our horses a 4oz dose of GNC's "World Champion Heavy
Weight Gainer" powder mixed like a paste tounteract lactates after a
ride. This helps keep soreness down to a minimum. Since we can't really
find out if the horses feel better after we do this we decided to try
this on ourselves.

We had a 4oz dose of HWG and put it in a milkshake for us prior, during,
and after the last 50 we did. Boy! BIGGGG difference in how sore we we
not!

The stuff comes in large plastic jar we keep in freezer and use as
needed. It's expensive $44 per cont, but after our last ride, it's
definitely worth it!:)

Happy Tails,

Susan & Sabian