ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Horse/Rider Compatibility/Mismatch?

Re: Horse/Rider Compatibility/Mismatch?

Ruth Bourgeois (ruthb@tdsi.net)
Sat, 01 Feb 1997 09:21:06 -0600

William F. Madill wrote:
a mare can be enjoyable -- but the most
> you will likely get is a constantly arbitrated partnership.
> Any comments from the rest of the group?

I, too, have a mare and a gelding; the mare is a real "alpha" type personality while the gelding is sweet and
loveable. This mare's mother was the boss horse in any herd she was ever placed in, thus she comes by it
honestly. Every so often I have to remind her who's boss, but for the most part we have an understanding there.

I chuckled about your comment of not riding your mare in the dressage ring. I do ride mine in dressage
schooling shows, and she has embarrassed me more than once when she decided, as we entered nicely at "A" that
until we exited again at "A" she wasn't going to cooperate. At one show my friend commented that she'd never
seen a horse in a training level test do a leg yield clear across the ring at a canter. That was when my sweet
mare decided she didn't feel like doing dressage in the rain (the same horse that'll not complain about going
for hours in the rain on a competitive trail ride!).

My gelding is easier to get along with in general. But the one thing that makes me appreciate my mare is that
she will give me her all, when it really counts. Her emotional temperament can be a real asset when the going
gets tough. Her dam was the same way, a little horse with a great big heart. She never let me down.

I enjoy riding both my horses, but I bond a little more with the mare. I think it has something to do with the
fact that our personalities are very similar in some ways (ok, I admit it - 'nuf said!).
And, when you really love a horse, regardless of their faults, you are a lot more forgiving and can work
through a few differences in opinion from time to time.

Ruth