ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Limited Distance

Re: Limited Distance

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
(no date)

I think that limited distance riders should allow

Truman wrote:

> I consider this very poor ride management. There are many rides
> (especially in the SE region) where the LD's pay for the ride. We can get
> 50 to 60 LD's and 30 to 40 50 milers. The LD pay for the ride and they
> deserve better than having to stand around letting 50's in front.
> (snip, snip). I try to find ways to minimze
> the back up ( instead of taking it out on LD's). I had the LD's go out 30
> minutes early so that there would be absolutely no overlap of LD's and 50's
> on the same trail. I also hired two extra vets for half a day to handle
> the LD's. Everybody was happy with this arrangement. The LD's pay for the ride - it is
> the responsiblity of the ride managers to see everyone - including the LD's
> - have a good experience.
>
> Truman

I really agree with Truman's attitude and ride management here. In alot
of cases, LD's often aren't asked to wait "a few minutes" while 50
milers vet first, it's sometimes hours. This, in addition to many of
the instances that have already been listed (25ers yelled at to yield
trail to 50's, 50's getting pushy and rude at water stops, assorted
comments about "real" endurance, etc, ad infinitum...), really does give
the LD rider the impression that he/she is a second-class citizen.
Maybe what we have to keep in mind that ALOT of the LD riders are trying
to get their feet wet and see what endurance is all about. If we treat
them poorly, they may very well disappear, taking their horses,
membership and dollars to some other venue. We're always saying we want
more AERC members, but we aren't going to get them if we treat them
as though tolerating their lowly presence is some incredible
privilege for which they should be grateful.

The very first ride I ever did was an LD about ten, eleven years ago
here in So Cal. I didn't know anyone, I had no clue of what I was
doing, made all kinds of mistakes and was pulled at the 12 mile check
for a stone bruise. I needed a trailer ride back to base camp but was
told I would have to wait several (as in four or five) hours because the
trailer was needed elsewhere to service the 50 mile riders. I was told
in no uncertain terms that the 50's were more important than my lowly LD
horse. These pulled 50's weren't in any more trouble than my horse, the
only difference was that they were 50 milers. This despite the fact
that it was now raining and threatening snow and I had no jacket or
blanket for Mikey and we were both obviously turning blue. I ended up
walking back to camp and was incredibly discouraged. It just so happens
I gave endurance one more shot a few weeks later and had such a good
time (at Bear Valley, BTW, thank you Cheri) that I ended up staying with
it. But given the same experience, alot of first-time riders wouldn't
have tried again and would have been lost to the sport. Is that what we
want?

As usual, too long-winded, but Truman, thank you for pointing out the
solutions to the problems rather than the justifications for not
treating LD riders as well as they deserve.

Susan