ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: listserve vs newsgroup

Re: listserve vs newsgroup

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
(no date)

On Thu, 30 Jan 1997 14:42:11 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>The issue of listserve vs newsgroup has come up before
>and has always come back around to the listserve as a
>preference.

Why does it have to be either/or? We can have both this list and a
newsgroup.

The newsgroup rec.equestrian has a lot of traffic and covers all kinds
of equestrian pursuits, not just endurance. The Ridecamp list has a
lot of traffic as well. This suggests to me that we now have enough
endurance people on-line to support both types of forums.

If we have both, those who like the mailist format and don't like
newsgroups can subscribe here only; those who like newsgroups but not
the maillist can subscribe to the newsgroup only; and those of us who
like both can subscribe to both. I am subscribed to both a mail list
and a newsgroup in another interest of mine. The topics discussed are
different in the two forums, as is the tone, and I enjoy them both.

If there is enough interest expressed here on the list for a
newsgroup, I'll be happy to conduct the process for creating one.