Re: .Limited Distance

Barbara Madill (WFMADILL.FMF@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 22:02:16 +0000

At 07:20 AM 1/29/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Teddy,(and other list members) would you answer a question for me and
>probably many of us whose only exposure to CTR is NATRC?
>
>Are you able to contrast how ECTRA and UMECRA etc rides differ from
>NATRC rules?
I can speak to the general difference between ECTRA rules and NATRC
rules.

>For instance, NATRC requires corrals for all, or all the horses stand
>tied overnight to their trailers. No splint boots. No forward motion
>unmounted. No pads. Camp is inspected.
On limited distance rides (i.e. 25 - 35 in one day) stabling is not
usually required -- if it is, it is standard for all. As in NATRC, no
forward motion unmounted (unless specifically mentioned at ride briefing for
trail safety), no splint boots.
HOWEVER, unlimited shoeing is permitted -- bar shoes, pads, etc.
(unless there's been a recent rule change)
HORSEMANSHIP is an "elective". ECTRA judges condition only. Many
rides also score horsemanship, best of breed, best trail horse, etc., but
the parameters for these may vary from ride to ride.
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Lynne

NOW! (caps for emphasis) If you REALLY want to know about endurance,
enter a one day ECTRA ride, say, about one and a half hours from home.
Vetting will usually begin at first light -- say 7:00 -- and, although
judges are getting faster, can take three or more minutes per horse (say 40
- 50 entered) ESPECIALLY if riders aren't willing to stand by for their turn
to vet and management has to call them. With luck the ride meeting and start
will have taken place by 9:30 -- ride, return, reverse vetting, have awards,
get home fifteen or sixteen hours after you left.
(This is why, for me, I enjoy the "relaxed" atmosphere of the three
day 100 mile format)
I've lost touch with the number of miles I've competed, Teddy, but I
know it's upwards of 3K, because during the formative years of ECTRA, few of
the 100's joined, and the 100 mile format has always been my goal. On the
other hand, I CAN sell my horses as "low mileage" because they've not
accrued anything "officially".
Regarding riding horses "out of pasture" at a distance ride -- it
sure depends on the pasture!!! A 100 mile fit horse maintains its LSD
fitness for nearly three months. Does not need much freshening up --
depending on the pasture and what the horse does when not being "conditioned".
Thanks to the response to LD competition in AERC, I will put
together a formal presentation for ECTRA (those of you who are ECTRA members
will see my comments in latest newsletter). At the present time ECTRA
Limited Distance Endurance is conducted as a clinic, for mileage only.
In 1979, in conjunction with the Ohio 100, there was a second 100
offered -- Enduro/Competitive. We were judged and ranked at the end of each
day on our condition and speed (in this case, in event of a tie, speed was
scored higher). I really enjoyed the concept and wish it had caught on.
The concept could be used with the condition scoring higher in a tie than
the speed. I sure learned a lot about my horse -- this was before heart
monitors (which I still don't own) and I quickly learned how to pace so as
not to lose any time into the hold.
I would like to have some input from our British correspondents.
Their Golden Horseshoe has scoring based on average speed on the course, I
believe.
>From all of the input from AERC riders, I think that our long distance sport
can be nurtured to provide variations that will help us all keep our eyes to
the goal of training 100 milers, yet let those of us who prefer have
fulfilling sport at shorter distances. Want speed? Fine -- have a speed
division. Want condition -- etc. Should be simple to administer using the
AERC vet cards and a lap top.
If I may quote a great lady of long distance, Kay Fullerton, let's
use the KISS method!!!
While I'm not currently an AERC member, I did manage the Liberty
Bell 50 its first and 2nd year. When I learned that riders all wanted to
draw last position (before Valery decided that for the 2nd year we'd have a
"shotgun" start ALONG SIDE THE BRANDYWINE POLO FIELD!!!!), my second year
publicity advised entrants that preference of starting position would be
granted in order of entry received. (I had 80 paid entries by March 1 for a
May 5th ride!)
As for the shotgun start, our riders were so good -- nary a divot and we
were allowed to come back to the Brandywine Polo Club).

Barbara