Re: Too many messages

sallijan snyder (sallijan@ix.netcom.com)
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 02:18:59 -0600 (CST)

At 03:15 1/30/97 GMT, Joe Lone wrote:
>On Wed, 29 Jan 1997 22:42:43 -0500, Shannon Loomis wrote:
>
>>At the risk of adding more traffic to the list, I was wondering if we could
>>somehow become a news group. We are getting too big for our britches.
[...]
>If you have the right e-mail software, it will organize the messages
>from the list into threads just like the posts on a newsgroup. Mine
>does (Agent).

Eudora and Eudora Light can sort by thread. 'Light is bundled with
Netscape Personal Edition or is downloadable as shareware from the Qualcomm
website.

>Although our volume is growing, there are other lists with higher
>volume. I like the idea of a newsgroup, but in addition to this list,
>not in place of it. A newsgroup attracts crossposting and spam, usually
>has a worse signal-to-noise ratio as a result, and is often a less
>polite forum. OTOH, people can "drop in" more easily so a newsgroup
>would attract more new participants.
[...]

When I started on the net in 1989 I found a lot of friends and support in
rec.equestrian. However, these days it is more aptly called
"wreck.equestrian" due to all the nasty biters and flamers. Some of these
also are perfectly capable of providing useful and interesting posts but
they seem to have too much fun flaming each other. I'm sure some of these
folks would love to visit rec.equestrian.endurance and tweek our tails.

The only way I'd vote for going to newsgroup status is if it would be a
moderated group. That would mean one or more (given volume, probably 2
or 3) people to handle moderator duties.

Let's keep endurance.net as it is for now, just try to learn to trim
those quotes and resist the urge to "me too" as has been suggested.

-Sallijan