Re: Limited Distance

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 02:17:32 GMT

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997 19:02:31 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>Just because I cannot run a marathon and enter 5k runs instead does not =
mean
>I am as good as the marathoner. I may not be built for it, or for =
whatever
>reason. But the marathoner deserves to run for what he has worked for =
and
>get credit accordingly. I don't see people worshiping the 4th string
>baseball or football player..it's the exceptional that get the glory. =
So,
>recognize where you are at. Accept your limitations or strive to go =
beyond
>them, but don't tell me you are as good or better than the 50 or 100 =
mile
>rider when you haven't or can't be there......................

>because you aren't.

AMEN to that!

I understand that some people like the 25 mile distance and have no
desire to ride farther. Too, I respect the people who have physical
limitations that prevent them (or their horse) from riding 50 miles, and
use 25 miles for their personal challenge. But it is a *personal*
challenge -- no way is a 25 mile ride even close to being as challenging
an *event* as a fifty mile ride. IMNSHO, no 25 mile ride qualifies as
an endurance ride (FTM, some 50 mile rides aren't much of an endurance
test either).

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and I may step on some toes -- but I
firmly believe that no matter what your record of accomplishment at
fifty miles, until you've successfully completed a 100 mile one day ride
you haven't had the full Endurance experience. It's a whole different
game.

I'm not suggesting that everyone has to ride a 100 mile ride, or should
aspire to. Different strokes for different folks. But I do object to
any characterization of the shorter rides as "just as challenging."

--=20

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net
Business Page http://www.mti.net