Re: .Limited Distance

lindavan.eqath@juno.com
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 23:08:27 PST

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997 16:06:21 -0500 (EST) SandyDSA@aol.com writes:

><< but at least an unfit horse usually doesn't even finish a 50, but
> you sure can get him through 25!!!
> >>
>Not often true - fitness is relative and a technically unfit horse
>would not
>complete 25 safely. Outside of rare cases, this is just plain logic.

I disagree here, I know it is relatively easy to get unfit horses through
a 25 miler. Under the old LD criteria, that our committee once used, it
happened all the time. IMO, under MOST currently used vet criteria, an
unfit horse could easily finish an LD. A YOUNG unfit horse could
probably win @ first to cross the line. This is the flaw of running LD
rides without stringent controls. But, currently, ride managers don't
have to use stringent criteria. Heck, ride managers can hold
unsanctioned LD rides if they want too. There is not that much
incentive to sanction them since most LD riders are not AERC members
anyway.

LindaVan