RE: .Limited Distance

Connie Hoge (pvtevt@msn.com)
Tue, 28 Jan 97 17:54:40 UT

----------
From: DORY ANN JACKSON
Sent: Monday, January 27, 1997 6:36 PM
To: RIDECAMP@endurance.net
Subject: Re: .Limited Distance

I would just like to point out that without LD there would be no
endurance riding as we know it. How many people do you know that have
started their endurance careers on the 50's 75's 100's? I am sure not
to many.
They (LD) are the back bone of the sport. People use them to start
young horses, bring back older ones from injuries see if the horse is
suited for the sport (or person) ect. We see our juniors riders have
their first, first place (junior rider) award. Everyone loves to win,
it's the american way.
It helps to keep the sport alive. Not everyone can ride 50 or more
miles, but most people can compete at 25. It opens up a area for all
people to compete and feel good about their horse and about their win
(yes, to win and stay in the top 10 all season long, it takes a fit
horse and rider, it just does not happen time and time again).
It is also a great place to start your horse before you move them up
to longer distance if that is you wish. It can be a great place to
school your horse to rate, get along in a crowd, learn to go through a
P.R-Vet area ect.
As a ride manager, it also bring in the most riders. There a far more
riders doing the LD then the upper miles. So we need to award the LD
with first place award's and at my ride BC awards (we did not award the
top 10 this year, and alot of LD rides asked us to, this year we will).
If you (ride managers) feel that the riders are going to go to fast,
ask your ride vets to talk to the riders about it at the pre ride talk
and have your vets change the ride pulses to lower. Your vets can be
great at slowing down people if you ask them to and in force the rules
at your ride.>
Happy riding...Dory

Agreed again.

My husband won that LD BC, with his young horse & was thrilled. It gave him
the much needed boost to continue with a horse that has been difficult, and
with a sport that demands a large amount of his limited free time.

Connie H.