re: Limited Distance Ruckus

Bennett, M. David (mdbennett@tva.gov)
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 14:37:04 -0500

Tina wrote:
>>I find it kind of amusing that anytime anyone mentions LD it turns into a
free-for-all discussion on the merits of LD - just like we've seen here
and
just like you'll find more than once in the archives

what goes around comes around I guess....

hmmm, is this because LD folks always seem to feel the need to defend
their
decisions or upper distance folks are afraid the LD riders are gonna
take
over "their" sport? :-)

Personally, I haven't done LD rides, even on my younger horse, because I
am fortunate enough to be able to do 25 mile and greater training rides
at home. Getting my horse accustomed to crowds and staying at the back
of the pack is done by volunteering to ride 'safety' at the back of CT
rides that are held locally. That way I save my hauling for the trips
to do 50-mile and greater rides. Others who are not so fortunate need
those LD rides as a place to let the horse experience crowds and greater
distances before moving up. I expect to do some LD rides with my
daughter because she's not up to doing a 50-miler yet. In this case,
she needs the experience, not the horse...

As a divorced father who is very involved with my two kids and with a
job that takes 40-50 hours each week, I think I am probably as limited
as anyone for training time. Yet I manage to do reasonably well at
conditioning my horse to do 50's. This spring we hope to do one or two
100's. Of the almost 1000 competition miles he's completed, the only LD
ride was my 9-year old's first ride. The biggest challenge is to get
enough training miles in initially when starting a green horse. After
that, it is just knowing the horse well so that he isn't over-ridden and
staying at it. A relatively fit horse that has gotten that way through
a steady diet of 25-mile rides ought to be plenty capable of doing easy
50's (and barring some physical problem, so should his rider). I guess
what I am saying is that, although LD rides may be fun and there is
NOTHING WRONG with only doing them, many people could do 50's if they
ONLY KNEW THEY COULD...

RReceived: (from majordom@localhost) by fsr.com (8.8.2/8.7.3) id LAA27446; Tue, 28 Jan 1997 11:52:54 -0800 (PST)