Re: ride managers/riders questions

Frank Mechelhoff (fmechelh@c-s-k.de)
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 19:27:49 -0800

Samm C Bartee wrote:

> The questions. What do you feel is the biggest mistake you have made as a
> ride manager?

Every year we have some problems with permissions of some areas (public land
everywhere). We have to be cautious and keep the starting field small. I know
it might be a mistake not to go the complete official way, but if I would do
I have to go to 100 offices and discuss with 500 burocratic, environmental
and hunting idiots who receive more power every year. It's even enough to
deal with the 10 I know they are realistic.

> What got you the most complaints?

Marking of trail last year. It was June and some people had problems to find
the yellow ribbons on the bright green beeches. This was a lot of work, but
it wasn't worth. This year we'll mark NOTHING. The riders shall ride with
map. As we've done it in 92,93,94, the advantage was that highest speed was
only 7,5 mph. this was better for the horses definitely. last year they rode
9 m.p.h., and this is too fast for our course i.m.o.

> What do you feel is the biggest positive you have done as a ride manager?

Every year I spent lots of money for free food and stuff like that. "Pay
the entry fee and than forget money for one weekend"

> What has gotten you the most compliments?

the great atmosphere, the nice course, the great board in the middle of
nowhere, the kind volunteers and vets, ...

> As a rider, what do you hate the most about a ride?
> If you show up and find out that ____?

there is NOTHING prepared for both horses and riders, or the only interest of
the organizer is to make money with poor quality, the course is poor selected
and boring, or poor footing but nit announced, lousy cards when the marking
is bad and stuff like that.

> Or what do you like the most?

A nice, interesting course, can be difficult, comparable good footing, a good
marking (or, if not available, a good map) and lots of grass and water for
the horse. if all this is fine, than a cold drink for me is the best.

> What is the biggest reason you will not attend a ride?

If I see in the advertisement the course has 50% asphalt or hard surface.

> the biggest reason you will attend a ride.

If I know the ride manager, we both ride the same way, and I'm sure he try
hard to make a good ride.

that's the way I go.

regards from old europe

FRANK Mechelhoff
Schlesierstr.23
61389 Schmitten/ Taunus
Tel. (49) 6084 950449

ride manager of
HINTER TAUNUS DISTANCE 60/42mls at 14/06/1997
Germany (20 mls north of Frankfurt/M.)
VDD acknowleged endurance ride