Re: Hackamores & etc.

C.M.Newell (reshan@deyr.ultranet.com)
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 12:21:30 -0500

>-- [ From: ROBERT J MORRIS * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
>
>I find the discussion about hackamores, the use, description and all that a
>bit disconcerting. A smattering of research shows that what most people are
>discussing has no connection to the actual hackamore....

>I cringed every time I see someone wanting to know what device will stop
>their horse or at least slow it down. The bit is not for stopping the horse.
>The bit is for signalling th eanimal that you want it to do something and
>your entire body then gives the command....
>
>When you can ride with the halter you will be relaxed...
>Let's take it from there, think of the horse, horsemanship and let's stop
>looking for the "quick bandage".

Thank you so much, Bob. I too, cringe when I see some of the
hardware employed by riders who claim they need same to keep from being run
off with.
FWIW, one of my horses had the occasional brain fart and bolted
periodically--seemed to be when he was menatlly stressed, but I didn't
change my bitting to stop him, he stayed in a snaffle through it all.
(dressage horses can't go in halters-- Might not have been a bad idea,
though) A determined horse will run through just about any gizmo you hang on
it. I worked on being more careful about what I was telling him, and more
careful at listening to what he was telling me.
--Charlotte