Re: QUARTER HORSES

Barbara Madill (WFMADILL.FMF@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 13:02:31 +0000

At 01:51 AM 1/23/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Yes, Yes , Yes you can ride Quarter horses for endurance riding. I ride in
>the Central region --George McGraw forwared your message to me. I have been
>doing 50's on mine this whole last year. I don't come in 1st, or 2nd or 3rd
>or 4th or 5th--I did come in 6th once. I never BC--top 10 some, but ALWAYS
>complete. People always kid me a little-but never mind. I ride endurance to
>ride MY horse and to ride a horse at endurance. I use to have more friends
>too who rode quarters, but they have become traders-------(got a
>raghead)----My husband rides 25's on a quarter. Top tens almost everytime
>the last half of the year and got BC in November.
> So I hope I have been encouraging to go for it---pay no attention to the
>arab people and go enjoy your horse.
>
> Sue Phillips in Texas

Nice to meet you, Sue,

However, my response to atypical horses was not from personal experience. I
started the long distance game after riding a book about a Morgan type and
the GMHA 100 (set in 1940's) when I was about twelve. This book "Pat Rides
the Trail" by Genevieve Torrey Eames truly inspired me in several areas
(including writing fiction for the 12 year old age group (1997 WILL be the
year I quit getting rejections!!!) I would have had Morgans but for an Arab
breeders quicker response (by the time I was able to have my own horse - in
my late 20's -- I'd read that Arabians were good for long distance). I did
what I'd never recommend today! I bought a 3 month old stud colt
(Arab-Welsh)!! (He was a gelding before he was much older!!) I've been
hooked on Arabians and Arab Welsh since, though, now that I drive, also, the
Dartmoor pony is intriguing -- wonder how they cross with Arabians?

Bottom line on typicality is that if a rider recognizes the strong and weak
points of any horse and designs an appropriate and realistic conditioning
program, some success at any distance (distance, not necessarily speed) is
possible!