RE: Looking for advice

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 22:31:33 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Niccolai Murphy wrote:

> One thing not mentioned so far. Try to find a horse that is easy to fit
> a saddle to. Not so important for other sports but for this one even
> small misfits become a problem over time.

I can only second this. Move "ease of saddle fit" way up on the list of
important features...otherwise...take into consideration the price of the
3-5 speacially designed, custom fit, one size fits all.... saddles you
are going to have to buy (which can run into the thousands of dollars).

"Conformation of the Back" however, might be a better way of describing
this criteria...which then takes into consideration all the other aspects
(also very important) of the absolutely essential role that the back
plays in the ability of a horse to (in addition to fitting a saddle)

a) carry a rider
b) engage its hind quarters
c) propell itself forward
d) maneuver over changing terrain

In short, everything that an endurance horse must do.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s. With regards to color...the best color of horse is one that you
consider pretty (however...I found that with the paint horse that I owned
(white and sorrell) that he sweat more on the white part of his body than
on the sorrel part...and there was a distinguisable line where he changed
color...I have no idea if this is meaningful.)