Re: colors/heat

Linda H VanCeylon (lindavan.eqath@juno.com)
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 10:38:21 PST

On Fri, 24 Jan 1997 00:20:15, -0500 XXDU78A@prodigy.com (MS LOUISE D BURTON) writes:
>Look up in the archives about colors and heat. This was a big
>discussion
>last year. Actually I think it was the dark horses that did better in
>the heat....
>Louise Burton
>FA AL BADI+ (black bay who thrives on heat and humidity)

I remember that discussion. I think what someone said was that you
needed a dark horse out on the trail and a light color at the vet check.

I don't think color makes that big a difference.

However, just a personal note.

Up until say 1994 I used to calulate how the grey horses placed in the
big rides like the Tevis and ROC (because those rides list color wit the
results). I found that the grey horses placed higher, percentage wise,
to the colored horses. In other words, there was a higher percentage of
greys, say in the top 1/3 placement, than there were greys entered in the
entire ride. This was true year after year. All things being equal, one
would think that they would finish in the same proportion as their total
numbers.
However, I don't believe I adjusted the figures to remove horses of
breeds other than Arabian, which tend not to be grey and also might then
not to place as high. So that statistic is probably not worth much
unless it is also true of Arabians only.

I think for one year I calculated chestnuts and found that they were the
best placing of all colors. But I only looked at one year.

I'm sure someone has probably done the stats on these. Are you out there
Lurking?

Linda Van