Re: Strapping

BP&A (scuba@b022.aone.net.au)
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 15:16:58 +1000

Reynolds, Nikki wrote:

> BP&A wrote:
> >
> > Susan F. Evans wrote:
> >
> > > Speaking of alternative therapies, I'd be interested in comments on
> > > using equine chiropractors. Does anyone use them on a regular basis?
> > > Would you use one? Under what circumstances, ie maintenance/injury
> > > only/last ditch effort? Just curious.
> > >
> > > Susan Evans
> >
> > I have been using a chiropractor for several years now. I am also an
> > equine massage therapist. You have to look for someone who is not just
> > a chiropractor but will look at the whole horse and will use several
> > alternate therapies in conjunction with each other i.e. massage,
> > manipulation, homeopathy etc.etc.
> >
> > The first horse I noticed a big difference on was a gelding who I had
> > been copeting on for years. I always had to keep him warm and walking
> > during strapping as he would stiffen up in the stifles. After the
> > chiropractor had worked on him I could strap him the same as any other
> > horse.
> >
> > I have now got to the stage that I can pick any change in my horses'
> > gait. They would not look lame, would not vet out but I would know that
> > something was wrong. My chiropractor would fix the problem and the
> > horse's gait would be back to normal.
> >
> > The real benefit is if you can get your chiropractor to work with you on
> > long rides (160klm+ or marathons). Mines checks my horse at the end of
> > each leg and makes any minor adjustments. At the end of a marathon it
> > is usually just a security check.
> >
> > The first marathon the chiropractor worked at, horses would come to him
> > when something was wrong. Several times the horse completed the ride.
> > Over the years the horses come at each check and there is a much larger
> > percentage completing the ride. My mare will automatically turn her
> > neck to one side to let him know that she is out on that side! Massage
> > works well in conjunction as the horses which have been massaged retain
> > their adjustments better and quite often do not need as many
> > adjustments.
> >
> > The only problem you have is the old one of vets vs chiropractors and
> > things can get a bit touchy if a chiropractor is seen to be working at a
> > ride where the vet doesn't believe.
> >
> > I would now hate to go to a long ride and not have the chiropractor
> > there. Even if your horse is adjusted before the event, quite often the
> > float trip can put them out quite a lot.
> >
> > Go for it - BUT find a good one. There are a lot of bad ones about.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Hi Anne,
> You mentioned "strapping" in your message. I've never heard that term
> before. What is it? Thanks, Nikki

Dear Nikki

It must be an Australian expression. I don't know what you use
instead!!

Strapping is the term we use when we work on the horse after a leg to
cool it down etc. before presenting to the vet.

A strapper is the mug (if you can get one) who waits in camp in all
weathers, gets everything ready, carts water then suffers abuse from the
rider if everything is not ready!! A rider who is confident in the
strapper hands the horse over to him/her to strap the horse and
sometimes presents to the vet while the rider takes a break.

Hope this is clear, if not fire away with the questions!!!

Anne