RE: Looking for advice

Connie Hoge (pvtevt@msn.com)
Thu, 23 Jan 97 19:55:16 UT

----------
From: G&J Thom
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 1997 8:39 AM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Looking for advice

Okay so everyone got a good giggle out of my last question, so
I thought I would try again. What I really should have asked was
what do you look for in choosing your endurance horse. I realize
each of you will have different views or ideas but that is okay I am
interested to hear them all.
Things like age, mare, gelding, personality, confirmation and yes colour.
I guess because I own one bright chesnut mare with polish lines and one
grey mare with egyptian lines of which I like both for different reasons I
was
curious about polish vs egyptian I realize that pedigree is not all that
important.
My chesnut mare is retired and my grey mare (ex-racehorse) who can do the
distance quite nicely, but her and I seem to have a bit of conflict in the
saddle
Anyways thanks again, sorry this is long. I really enjoyed ridecamp so
bare
with me as I am just a beginner.

Julia
e mail thomlabs@netbistro,com

Julie,

My personal preferences, colored by my experience:

1. A brain, intelligent enough to be rated, to stay calm, to think.
2. Good conformation, especially legs. 14.2 - 15.2 (A big, warm eye)
3. I ride a mare, & prefer them, but my husbands gelding is pretty special.
4. Willing to be the "apple of my eye", & return affection. A mutual
espect/love will get you there when nothing else does.

There's lots of good reading material out there - look up Lew Hollanders Home
Page.

Connie Hoge
pvtevt@msn.com