Re: Polish vs Egyptian

Reynolds, Nikki (jakar@aiinc.com)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 06:08:15 -0800

Janet Evans wrote:

> Tina,
> You think you jest, but many people believe that a grey endurance
> horse feels the heat less than a bay/chestnut. Reflecting the
> light.
>
> The same is considered true for the colour of your clothes.
> But you guys live in a much hotter climate than I, what do you
> think?
>
> Regards
> Jan

Jan,
I think you've got a good point there. We live in the Nevada desert,
and during the summer there is a marked difference in temperature
between coat colors. My friend's black horse's coat gets so hot it's
hard to lay a hand on him for long at times. That has to have some
bearing on heat regulation during the summer rides. I don't see how it
couldn't!!

Also, for all you Arabian enthusiasts....There is an enormous mostly
Arab horse site where you can check out Egyptian, Polish, Russian,
Domestic, French, or Spanish types on their own pages as well as the
different sports associated with them. There is a specialty forum
bulletin board, and yes, it has endurance. The address is
http://www.awhitehorse.com. It's also a good place to get on the
Arabian Horse Web Ring. The World Arabian Horse Organization is
available through this site, and the Arabian Forum at Whitehorse has
been buzzing with the latest on WAHO's decision to suspend the Arabian
Horse Registry of America. If you import, export, or race abroad, this
affects you. I hope they get that mess straightened out soon!

The Qatar Marathon results and pictures for every year can be reached
at http://arab-trade.com. Just click on the running horse to get
there. It's a really different type of race and the media is all over
it, probably due in part to the celebrities that enter.
Happy (and reasonably dry) Trails!, Nikki