Re: Non-typical endurance horses

Janet Evans (JEvans@linotype.co.uk)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 13:00:25 +0000

Hi Jacqueline,

Here in the UK we have a Halflinger (excuse spelling) stud which
routinely competes a team of ponies. They are small, palomino, and
do not have the typical endurance horse look. However they compete
to the highest standard, one represented Britain in an
international ride completing 80 miles, he caused much amusement at
the prelim vetting, but could claim a cult following by the end of
the 80 miles, everyone cheered as he crossed the finishing line.
Guess at the end of the day, it really comes down to the quality of
your relationship with your horse, does he want to please you, and
have you done sufficient training, to enable him to do so.

Hope your friend gives it a try. Have fun

Regards
Jan Evans

Subject: Non-typical endurance horses
Author: Jacqueline Mansfield <jaxson@leopard.com> at email
Date: 21/01/97 15:31

I am trying to convince my girlfriend to do a (very relaxed, slow-paced)
25 miler with me on her QH. She jokes about being too embarrassed to enter
because her QH, while in good enough shape to finish a slow-paced 25 mile,
is short, stocky and has a bit of a gut. Does anyone out there have any
stories about "Non-typical endurance horses" finishing a 25 (or longer)
endurance race, or would she truely be a spectacle?

Thanks!

Jacqueline and Winza (and Lori and King?)

Author owned by Winza, 13 year old Crabbet Arabian gelding

I used to dream of owning a flashy chesnut or bright bay, perhaps even a
shining black, but when my perfect horse came in a never-to-be-clean
white... I shrugged and realized the meaning of "A good horse is never a
bad color".