RE: Polish vs Egyptian

Connie Hoge (pvtevt@msn.com)
Wed, 22 Jan 97 23:50:52 UT

----------
From: G&J Thom
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 1997 1:22 PM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Polish vs Egyptian

Hi everyone,

I am new to ridecamp and to endurance riding having only been involved
for the past 3 years. I am really enjoying ridecamp as I have already
learned so much. I was wondering (am looking to purchase a new horse)
is there a preference for a Polish bred arabian or a Egyptian bred
arabian??
Also what about colours?? Also any other key points when looking for a
endurance prospect??

Thanks
Julia

P.S. I live in Prince George, B.C. Canada

Julia,

You are a "neighbor" so must be kind & assume you are asking if color makes
any difference in performance. Lets be kind guys - there have been articles
written, even Lew Hollander discusses it in his book. My personal observation
is that a lot of endurance horses are gray. (Maybe all the rain washes away
the color?)

Even the Arabs - from the beginning - had many myths regarding color. White
markings were disliked, a right, rear,white sock is considered bad luck. Both
front & rear left white socks is supposed to be good luck - "mounting over the
white", (they would return from battle).
1.) They rode a chestnut to pass on word of a win in war. (The fastest).
2.) They would jump a bay from the highest peak, and land unharmed. (The
bravest)

etc. etc.

I always wanted a gray. Started with a chestnut (she's now a successful race
horse), & ended up with my gray (wishing she would stay clean for just 5
minutes!)

Should we talk "whorls"? Ha!

Connie Hoge (Ready to murder the weather man!)
Arlington, WA
pvtevt@msn.com