Re: New to Nutrition

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 14:21:03 -0800

I think Susan was being overly conservative here and the 1/4 lb rule appears absurd. I
just went downstairs and weighed an apple. It weighs 1/2 lb - i.e. feeding a single
apple to a horse that does not regularly consume apples violates this rule. I am not
arguing here that feed changes shouldn't be made over time, I am quibbling about the
numbers. There are also two types of changes. Totally changing the type of feed, e.g.
switching from hay to pellets requires a slower change than a change in quantity. The
mix of gut bacteria in the horse need time to adapt. Changing quantity (within
reason) is not a big a problem. I would also be more concerned with percentage
increases than absolute numbers. Increasing hay by 5 lbs (for a horse eating 15 lb
per day is not the same as increasing grain 5 lbs for a horse normally consuming 2
lb. There are actually good reasons for changing food quantity rapidly in some
circumstances. For example, adding extra hay in extreme weather conditions. Halving
grain ratio when a working horse is given a day off (to prevent tying up) is another
example.

With regard to the "Sunday Night Smorgasboard", I would not be concerned with what
probably amounts to a lb of dry matter. However, if the purpose of the bran mash is to
get water into a horse, I wonder if there are any good reasons for some of what is
included (other than to make it palatable). Other than a couple of carrots or an apple
for treats, I have a very specific reason for what I give my horses, and I am aware of
what is in the overall combination that is total diet.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net