Re: First 100 - Biltmore?

Barbara Madill (WFMADILL.FMF@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 14:13:11 +0000

At 08:00 PM 1/21/97 +0000, you wrote:
>The ice won't leave
>And, rather than grieve
>I'm trying to weave
>a ride schedule (please don't heave)
>
>Seriously, though, I'm considering the Biltmore 100 and would like to solicit
>information, suggestions, and general feedback on the advisability of trying
>this as my horse's first 100. He finished last year sound, winning the
>Glenwood/Blackhorse Gap 60 and top tenning the Mt. State ride; but he's never
>done 100 and has only one full hard year of competition. Suggestions???
>
>Thanks
>Peggy Thompson
>MThomp7007@aol.com

Biltmore is an excellent ride to start because:

You are never more than seven miles from base camp.
The terrain, although challenging because of constant changes, is not
dangerous. (I ride the three day 100 in Fall at speeds equal to Top Tenning
the one day WITHOUT PADS)

You will find vetting capable and conservative. Your horse's safety is
absolutely paramount. (NOT THAT IT ISN'T ON OTHER RIDES, BUT AT BILTMORE IT
REALLY IS!!!) Your safety is a prime consideration, too, but notice the
order of priority.

While I am not an official of ride management, I feel that I can speak
authoritatively.
HOWEVER, do get your entry in early!! Last Spring we had 164 and I
know Ann likes to give 100's first grab!
Looking forward to your having a great ride!!

(Yes I am an "official" -- I'm the "glow stick" starter!!)