Re: Non-typical endurance horses

William Madill (WFMADILL.FMF@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 13:47:19 +0000

At 10:31 PM 1/21/97 +0000, you wrote:

> I am trying to convince my girlfriend to do a (very relaxed, slow-paced)
>25 miler with me on her QH. She jokes about being too embarrassed to enter
>because her QH, while in good enough shape to finish a slow-paced 25 mile,
>is short, stocky and has a bit of a gut. Does anyone out there have any
>stories about "Non-typical endurance horses" finishing a 25 (or longer)
>endurance race, or would she truely be a spectacle?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jacqueline and Winza (and Lori and King?)
>_________________
>
>Author owned by Winza, 13 year old Crabbet Arabian gelding
>
>I used to dream of owning a flashy chesnut or bright bay, perhaps even a
>shining black, but when my perfect horse came in a never-to-be-clean
>white... I shrugged and realized the meaning of "A good horse is never a
>bad color".
>_________________

One of the great endurance horses in the 70's and early 80's was
Charge Cindy, owned and ridden by Larry Kanavy -- she was an Appendix
Quarter Horse, with, admittedly a lot of TB, but most emphatically muscled
when she was fit!

Also, Arabel, (you guessed it, Arab and Belgian) did extremely well
in three day 100's (ECTRA, so the MPH was 5 2/3, or 15 3/4 - 17 hour window
to do the 100 -- not bad riding time). Arabel and her owner, Webb Coleman,
retired the Florida Horsemen's East Coast Challenge Trophy. To do this, the
pair had to have best scores from three of six 100's three different times.
Arabel was 17 when she did this and was a lot fitter at 17 than as a younger
mare.
Webb and Arabel also rode the Old Dominion and, I believe, the
Vermont 100 One Day.

It may take longer for the heavier breeds to get fit, but once they
are fit, they seem to stay that way!

Arab mares are good at having a "gut" -- I know, my Larca has one,
but she tied for the above mentioned East Coast Trophy this year (first time
it was tied since 1970's). To work on the gut, gallop!

Good luck,

Barbara Madill (Columbus, NC)