Re: Specific condition question from Kris

Linda H VanCeylon (lindavan.eqath@juno.com)
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 14:47:12 PST

On Mon, 20 Jan 1997 17:04:18 -0400 truman.prevatt@netsrq.com (Truman
Prevatt) writes:

>>15/15/15 - this is a rate of 15 in 15 seconds after a 15 minute cool
>>down, or stop. For most horses this is fine. It is conservative as
>>well. A conditioned horse will be able to reach the 15 mark in a
>couple
>>of minutes.
>>

>What is the rational behind the 15/15/15 critera? This is the first
>time I
>have heard of it. My personal opinion is that this is on the high
>side.
>On my conditioning rides (and on rides for that matter) I like to see
>at
>most 60 within 5 minutes and 52 to 48 in 10 minutes. If I don't reach
>this
>critera I back off to a level that I can maintain this recovery.
>
>Practically, if it took you 15 minutes to recover to 60 at a vet check
>you
>would lose a lot of time in the checks. If you take 15 minutes and
>another
>horse only takes 5 then on a 50 with 3 checks you give up a half an
>hour.
>This is very difficult to overcome on the trail. I am just curious if
>there is any more basis to the 15/15/15 than there is to my rule of
>thumb.
>

>Truman
>

>Truman Prevatt
>Sarasota, FL

Hi Truman,

I've never heard of this 15/15/15 either. This is a longer recovery time
than I would want in an aerobic work, and for anaerobic/interval work, I
usually push harder than this, and it definitely does not apply to LSD.
So, where did this criteria come from, Wendy?

Linda Van Ceylon