Re: to the olympics?

Rebecca Hackworth (bechack@cnsii.com)
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 09:01:17 -0800

At 09:34 AM 1/20/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I've been thinking about all the furor over cash prizes and wondered what
>the endurance community thinks about the push to make endurance riding an
>olympic sport?
>
>I ask because it seems to me that making it into the olympics would cause
>many of the same troubles as those identified by many of you as problems
>with cash prizes (corporate sponsorships, no more true amateurs, etc...).
>Yet our path to the olympics doesn't seem to be contested - not that I have
>seen, anyway.

Maybe because the ORIGINAL thoughts on the olympics is that of amatures. I
know I am an idealist, but that is how I see endurance not conflicting with
the olympic sprit.

The quote from the last place marathon runner (loosly ) " I didn't come to
lose for my country, I came to finish for my country"

Now if you can find any conflict with and the AERC motto, please enlighten me.

Love a good topic for discussion.

Becky Hackworth

Alpine CA