Morgan horse

Karen Callan (Karen_Callan@radian.com)
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 12:52:35 -0600

From: Alice Steinke <alicest@HCC-UKY.CAMPUS.MCI.NET>
To: ridecamp@endurance.net, <ohodiabl@ma.ultranet.com>,
jwade@umassd.edu (Judy Wade),
<jjahiel@prairienet.org>
Subject: Morgan horse

Okay, here's the question. I need some honest and
forthright opinions here.
If you were looking at a Morgan horse for a comp. trail,
endurance prospect
that could also be used for some low level dressage or
combined training (a
good all around mount), what would she go for?

***

I'd say @ $3,000. This is based on the following: A friend
of mine brought a Morgan mare up from her family's working
ranch to stay at my place for the winter - so we could do
some riding together. This horse "worked" cattle in the
summer, was put out to pasture for the winter, so was
available. We rode my usual Feb - May weekend conditioning
schedule, with my experienced endurance horses (just once a
week @ 25 mi) and then in June did an AERC 50 (this
Morgan's first endurance ride ever) - and the mare finished
4th, and got BC!

So - based on the 4 months I was around the horse, and
comparing her to my Arabs, I'd say she was an all-around
solid horse - very athletic, very sure-footed and willing,
recoveries not quite as fast as Arabs, personality not quite
as "friendly" as an Arab - a little more aloof and "all
business" - but I would say an excellent horse. They (the
ranch) too, put 30 to 60 days training on all their horses,
and based on that, and the "professional working"
expectations they have of their horses, typically buy and
sell horses in the $3,000 - $6,000 range. These are not yet
"proven" horse, just horses with some professional training,
who will go on to be working cow horses. (and, based on that
one mare - do pretty well in endurance.) This seems pretty
pricey to me, but that's just me, and EVERYTHING is
relative, expecially where price is concerned. I got my best
Arab mare for $12 (gas money) as an unbroke, unwanted 4 yr.
old, and she's gone on to Top Ten (and several 1sts) in
just about everything she's ever done. I've also paid $2.000
for a green, untrained 7 yr. Arab gelding, but one I thought
had lots of potential. (still a work in progress!)

Several times I thought the "perfect" horse would be a cross
between that Morgan, and my Arab. The Morgan seemed a little
stronger and tougher, and my Arab had the cardio-vascular
blessings.

The horse you describe sounds like an excellent prospect to
me. Any 5 yr. old that already has 60 days on her, some
lessons, and such a willing attitude ("opinionated" at 5
yrs. can be developed into very positive behavior as she
matures...) has my vote. If you're happy with her
conformation, breeding, and personality...this sounds like a
fine horse. I much prefer to start a young one, and develop
them myself, rather than buy a "made" horse. This way, you
develop a much stronger relationship with the horse, and are
a far superior judge of the horse's capabilities and general
way of going in life, than if you plunk down a bunch of
money for someone else's project. I don't know what part of
the country you're in, but out here (Auburn, California
foothills) you can find a good endurance prospect for @
$1500 - $2500. I'm somewhat hesitant to give an exact $
amount - a lot is based on being in the right place at the
right time with the right set of circumstances.

I could go on forever about this, as you can see (!) - Make
an offer and good luck!

Karen Callan
karen_callan@radian.com