Re: 100 Mile Races

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 16:43:26 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, henslee wrote:

> slower pace. When I read the ride results in the EN and saw 100 mile rides
> being finished in 9 hours or so, (1 in 8'55"), I thought "racing." Could a
> 100 mi ride with a huge cash award be done any faster? What would the rest
> of you consider as racing? pj

Yes, today even 100 mile rides are raced at higher speeds; however, fewer
people are going at this pace (because for 50 miles...even unprepared
horses can maintain this pace for most of the ride).

Additionally, I will be so bold as to suggest that the 100 mile ride that
was finished in 9 hours was finished so quickly not because the horses
were going faster but that the ride wasn't really 100 miles long. But
this is just my opinion. It has come to my attention that many rides
(especially those that are advertised as "moderate to easy") are not
really as long as the advertised mileage...but this is just an
unsubstantiated rumor...so....you can take it for what it is worth.

kat
Orange County, Calif.