Re: HUMANE SOCIETY is back at it!

Mark A. Thayer (mathayer@cs.unm.edu)
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 14:16:34 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, tina hicks wrote:

> At 01:25 PM 1/14/97 -0700, Mark A. Thayer wrote:
>
> >It only takes one of these people to ruin your whole day. "Be prepared"
> >certainly applies.
> >
> but don't ride managers have the right to not allow them at a ride or in the
> camp....or something if they are causing grief????

Ok, I'm playing lawyer here, which is inherently dangerous...you have
been warned...

If your ride camp is on private property, then the owner can shoo them
away. If you're on public land, things get *much* messier.

And even if you start on private land, a 50 mile route is most likely
going to cross public land at some point -- and that's where they'll be.

I want to be very clear here -- there are many rational folks out there
who have a genuine concern for animal welfare. These are *not* the
people that will cause trouble. They may want discourse and debate, and
may be insistent about it, but they're not nasty.

It's just the very few who are -- geez, I don't know how to say this
tactfully -- well, rabid, shall we say? To these people, the issue is
not an issue, it's (for all practical purposes) war.

Still hoping it doesn't happen,

Mark