Re: HUMANE SOCIETY is back at it!

Mark A. Thayer (mathayer@cs.unm.edu)
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 13:25:35 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997 SandyDSA@aol.com wrote:

> Just a note from a good friend of mine who gets these regular newsletters
> from Humane Society - they are back on the warpath about the 3Day eventing at
> the Olympics AND at the endurance riders.

[snip]

> And so, let's all bend our efforts toward making certain that our houses are
> in order and our horses receiveing of exemplary care, such as we generally
> see ANYWAY! [snip] They are
> historically opposed to endurance, rodeo, jumping, eventing, racing, and
> bottom line, any confinement or use of an animal outside of its natural
> habitat.

[lurk mode off...]

All of the above comments are valid, *and* be prepared to deal with
completely irrational hostility.

Many animal rights activists believe that any interaction between man and
animal is wrong, and that any tactic or behaviour to achieve their goals
is acceptable. You can have absolutely perfect care and management at a
ride, and they won't care.

It only takes one of these people to ruin your whole day. "Be prepared"
certainly applies.

Here's hoping it never happens,

Mark