Re: Twin Oaks Ride

Rebecca Hackworth (bechack@cnsii.com)
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 11:08:37 -0800

At 11:19 AM 1/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>There is a need to put this on the list, since we had such a bacd experience
>at this ride, and now it appears to be sanctioned again, even though the ride
>manager said she was recalling her request for the sanction.
>Randy, I can't find your EMail addres since I changed PCs so if you read
>this, please respond.
>
>Having ridden this 25 mile ride - which turned out to be over 30 miles - with
>xeveral friends, who were also on definite Limited Distance horses, I feel
>compelled to convey to you that this ride is NOT a moderate or beginning
>level ride. The terrain is pretty rugged, not unsafe, but the access for
>vehicles over the last half of the 30 plus miles is non-existent, and the
>water availablility was not nearly sufficient. This was a much tougher ride
>than was advertised, and after having RECEIVED a completion award (we were
>TOLD at the ride meeting that we would be allowed the additional appropriate
>amount of time to complete, considering the extended mileage), we found out
>that MANY riders were NOT given completion points as was promised. Since
>receiving the most recent issue of EARC News, and seeing no indication of the
>correction, it is necessary to pass this on. This is a bad example of how
>this fine organization works. One of our clients who now has the mare who
>completed her firstr ide there refuses to become a member, and is now looking
>into other sports. I think this is a shame, since all that caused this
>decision was a lack of following through on the part of ride management. We
>have had no indication in any form that the proper adjustments were made.
>Since my personal mount is our now 22 year old mare, this is not about points
>to me, but about credibility and fairness. Yes, I understand how tough it is
>to manage a ride. It seems to me that the EASIEST part of it is to come
>through with this type of promise and obligation.
>
>Sorry this is rather long, but I do believe that anyone planning on going to
>that ride had better be aware of the fiasco last yera, and also that this
>ride would be better described as a prep for Tevis, not an easy beginning
>level ride. We wold still like to hear something form the ride manager about
>our completions and the adjustmenst in advertised ride length - from the
>manager. Please don't make all 12 of of us file protests. That is really
>stupid.
>
>In the end, all of the ones who were treated so are NOT going back to that
>ride. Sad, since it IS a beautiful place, and quite accesible. I am concerned
>that the ride was accepted in 1997. If you go, good luck!

Sandy and all...

We went to this ride, and finished in appropriate amt of time for a 35 mile
ride, and were told we would be credited with a completion. We received our
completion awards, and left for home. EN then came out WITH OUT our names (
myself and 2 daughters ) listed for completion.

Sandy had asked for response from those online with similar difficulties
which I did. When it seemed our 30 days were almost up and no word back
from Sandy, I contacted AERC with the form on the EN.

I didn't hear from AERC for a long time. I finally called AERC again, and
was told that we would indeed be credited with this completion.

It was a tedious process, but one I feel has been corrected, finally. This
was not THAT hard of a ride, just much longer than advertised, and not
enough water to accomodate for Southern California July!. If I had
assurrences that this had been corrected, and that the milage had been
verified, maybe signs or spotters on trail just for encouragement ( that
last 10 miles on jeep road was depressing...I almost cried as my 2 daughters
kept asking aren't we almost there yet? and all I could do was say I think
so ...I think so...God I hope so...) No this is in no way a beginners
trail, but not that tough. Water would have gone a long way to keep the
spirits up.

I think if Carol is willing to try again to put on this ride, I will attempt
to support her by riding. But only one more time.

Becky Hackworth, Katie Hackworth, Heather Hackworth and Colleen Hackworth

Alpine ( San Diego Area ) California.