Re: LMF / Natural Glo

Jorene Downs (jcdowns@strategic-vision.com)
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 07:18:11 GMT

Duncan Fletcher <dfletche@gte.net> wrote:

>That is a better product as long as your feeding some alfalfa. For =
pasture, I assume=20
>they have another mix that is lower in phosphorus. =20

I copied info from the "A" version. There is a "G" version intended
for use with primarily grass hays, but I haven't seen the tag to
know how contents compare.

>I can't comment on the selenium=20
>because I do not know where your hay is grown. I am only familiar with =
Washington hay.

Tulare County, CA. I'll be checking with the Ag department to see
if they can provide some general regional information now that I
have a better idea of what to look for. Thanks!

>The calculations I made were all for mature horses in light to moderate=
work. Late=20
>stage pregnancy and particularly lactation ups everything, especially =
minerals. Ca:P=20
>ratio still stays the same. There is sufficient Ca and P in that =
combination even for=20
>lactating mares.

I guess my uneducated instincts were correct, because we're
currently trying the broodmares on the LMS "A". All others
(non-preggie) are still on low maintenance doses of Natural Glo.

>BTW, my own idle to light work horses are getting 12 lb/day =
alfalfa/grass mix, enough=20
>oats (1/4 lb) to mix with a general vitamin supplement fed primarily for=
its selenium=20
>content. If I had to increase feed, I would first up the hay, then up =
the oats, then=20
>add corn oil.
>
>Duncan Fletcher
>dfletche@gte.net
>dfletche@gte.net
>
>> [snip]
>> So, hoping you're still willing to provide input ... would these
>> contents (below) be an improvement over Natural Glo in CA, with
>> alfafa/oat and irrigated pasture (mix is mostly fescue, mostly rye
>> in winter)? We have light-moderate work horses, broodmares (4
>> about to deliver foals), 2 y.o., and a 21 y.o who thinks he's 10.
>> APHA and AQHA/NFQHA if that matters.
>>=20
>> LMF development concentrate A (feed with 50% or more alfalfa):
>>=20
>> Crude protein min 12%
>> Crude fat min 3.5%
>> Crude Fiber max 7.2%
>> Ash max 7%
>> Added minerals max 4%
>> Calcium .2 - .4 %
>> Phosphorous min .9%
>> Zinc min 89 mg/lb
>> Copper min 27.3 mg/lb
>> Selenium min .32 mg/lb
>> Vitamin A min 2.50 KIU/lb
>> Vit D3 min .5 KICU/lb
>> Vit E min .06 KIU/lb
>>=20
>> I appreciate your input. This is obviously not my area of expertise!
>>=20
>> - - -
>> Jorene
>> just moseyin' down the California trails ... :)
>> - - -

Jorene :)