LMF / Natural Glo

Jorene Downs (jcdowns@strategic-vision.com)
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 02:12:48 GMT

"Susan F. Evans" <suendavid@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

Jorene quoted from a fax:
>> > "For horses on an alfalfa hay diet Natural Glo can offset the
>> > calcium-phosphorous imbalance, that so often leads to developmental
>> > bone disorders in foals, while at the same time not providing too
>> > much phosphorous for rations using coastal bermuda or most other
>> > grass hays. This is an important factor in broodmares and foals."

Duncan wrote:=20
>> The alfalfa part is right. I would be real careful about using very =
much with grass
>> hays. Coastal bermuda is 0.32% Ca and 0.20% P. 20 pounds grass and 2=
pounds Natural
>> Glo gives a Ca/P of 0.86 (and that was using the upper number of Ca =
range given).
>> Anything less than 1.0 is a problem.
>
>Duncan, you're terrific. I agree a Ca;P ratio below 1.0 is a Bad=20
>Thing, because the body will pull the extra calcium it needs from=20
>anywhere it can get it, including bones if necessary. The ratio should=20
>be 1.2 or higher, although anything much over 2.0 is excessive in Ca. =20
>However, I disagree that feeding more phosphorus is the way to "balance"=
=20
>excessive calcium, as cited above. If you're feeding alot of calcium,=20
>adding more phosphorus doesn't change the fact that you're feeding alot=20
>of calcium. Look at it this way (and Duncan, I know you know this, this=
=20
>is for any of the newbies that maybe don't know):

<snip example that had me ROFL! ... burp!>

Duncan wrote:
>> In another post you indicated a magnesium figure of 0.7%. This is a =
very high number.
>> Alfalfa which is also high is half that. It is magnesium that is the =
probably culprit
>> in enterolith formation and the reason many refuse to feed alfalfa.

I'm not familiar with "enterolith formation". Presumably to do with
the intestines? Our horses have appeared quite healthy over the
years. The only potential health problems we knew we had to
anticipate was the potential for fast growing youngsters and
possible epiphysitis, which we successfully avoided - other than
minor flare-ups when just weaned - feeding oat hay and Natural Glo.

>This is true, however, NRC cites numbers based on "average" alfalfa's=20
>content of magnesium. Alfalfa grown in California is SEVEN times higher=
=20
>than the "average", which makes Mg even more of a problem. [...]

Ooops, time for me to check with the local Ag office! Glad I found
some people who know a bunch more about nutrition that I do! Seems
that what has apparently worked well all these years isn't as good
as it should be ...

So, hoping you're still willing to provide input ... would these
contents (below) be an improvement over Natural Glo in CA, with
alfafa/oat and irrigated pasture (mix is mostly fescue, mostly rye
in winter)? We have light-moderate work horses, broodmares (4
about to deliver foals), 2 y.o., and a 21 y.o who thinks he's 10.
APHA and AQHA/NFQHA if that matters.

LMF development concentrate A (feed with 50% or more alfalfa):

Crude protein min 12%
Crude fat min 3.5%
Crude Fiber max 7.2%
Ash max 7%
Added minerals max 4%
Calcium .2 - .4 %
Phosphorous min .9%
Zinc min 89 mg/lb
Copper min 27.3 mg/lb
Selenium min .32 mg/lb
Vitamin A min 2.50 KIU/lb
Vit D3 min .5 KICU/lb
Vit E min .06 KIU/lb

I appreciate your input. This is obviously not my area of expertise!

- - -
Jorene
just moseyin' down the California trails ... :)
- - -