Re: The clubfoot that came and went

Alice Steinke (alicest@hcc-uky.campus.mci.net)
Thu, 09 Jan 1997 15:28:15 -0600

I had a TW who had a slight club foot, but his gaits were terrific and so
were his soundness. HE was shod as others have suggested. The lower foot
was made more upright and the more upright lowered. ONce I got a farrier on
him that new what he was doing I never had another problem.

alice

At 04:01 PM 1/9/97 EST, you wrote:
>Some years ago my horse began getting notations of "clubfoot" on his vet
>card. The first time I didn't worry, just some vet being more particular
>than most. Then when another vet made the same notation, I began to
>worry.
>
>I stumbled onto an article in a farriers magazine that suggested
>clubfooted horses might be causing it by putting stress on the foot when
>they eat off the ground. I watched him, and sure enough, every time he
>reached down to eat off the ground his good foot would go forward, and
>his bad one would go back, causing pressure on the foot.
>
>I immediately started feeding him from a haynet, with a table under it to
>catch the droppings. His foot began returning to its original shape, and
>after a few months the vets quit mentioning his clubfoot.
>
>I have no idea how common this problem is, but you folks with clubfooted
>horses might want to look into it
>
>Donna O'Gara
>come see us at:
>http://www.concentric.net/~Dlogara

Alice Steinke
Willie (15 pound 3 yo red wire), Lacie (7 yo schnauzer mix), Sandy ( 6mo
cocker puppy)
Turbo, the cat
Hannah and Chester, the horses

If I ruled the World, Every Day would be the First day of Spring.