Re: Natural Glo - calcium/phosphorous

Jorene Downs (jcdowns@strategic-vision.com)
Thu, 09 Jan 1997 06:54:01 GMT

Duncan Fletcher <dfletche@gte.net> wrote:

>Jorene Downs wrote:
>>=20
>> I don't think this exerpt will answer your question, but according
>> to the faxed info provided by the makers of Natural Glo:
>>=20
>> "For horses on an alfalfa hay diet Natural Glo can offset the
>> calcium-phosphorous imbalance, that so often leads to developmental
>> bone disorders in foals, while at the same time not providing too
>> much phosphorous for rations using coastal bermuda or most other
>> grass hays. This is an important factor in broodmares and foals."
>
>The alfalfa part is right. I would be real careful about using very =
much with grass=20
>hays. Coastal bermuda is 0.32% Ca and 0.20% P. 20 pounds grass and 2 =
pounds Natural=20
>Glo gives a Ca/P of 0.86 (and that was using the upper number of Ca =
range given). =20
>Anything less than 1.0 is a problem.

[snips]

>In another post you indicated a magnesium figure of 0.7%. This is a =
very high number. =20
>Alfalfa which is also high is half that. It is magnesium that is the =
probably culprit=20
>in enterolith formation and the reason many refuse to feed alfalfa.
>
>All of these problems are a result of the rice bran Natural Glo =
contains.

Ahhh, someone who seems to understand all this stuff! So I have a
question. We normally feed 50/50 alfalfa/oat when the horses are in
the barn (otherwise on irrigated pasture). Do you see problems
supplementing with Natural Glo in this situation? (light-moderate
work)

- - -
Jorene
just moseyin' down the California trails ... :)
- - -