Natural Glo - calcium/phosphorous

Jorene Downs (jcdowns@strategic-vision.com)
Thu, 09 Jan 1997 00:48:40 GMT

aburson@webtv.net (Anita Burson) wrote:

>Regarding comments sent to jcdowns about Natural Glo rice bran. Was the
>comment"minimum phosphorous" sent to you by an equine medical or
>nutritional authority or by a layperson? I was somewhat concerned that
>this product might, indeed, create a cacium/phosphorous imbalance that
>could possibly be detrimental for an endurance animal. Is this concern
>of mine perhaps ufounded?
>Anita Burson

I don't think this exerpt will answer your question, but according
to the faxed info provided by the makers of Natural Glo:

"For horses on an alfalfa hay diet Natural Glo can offset the
calcium-phosphorous imbalance, that so often leads to developmental
bone disorders in foals, while at the same time not providing too
much phosphorous for rations using coastal bermuda or most other
grass hays. This is an important factor in broodmares and foals."

Do you have 'net access? More likely you will find answers at=20
Oklahoma State University's site, where there are multiple papers on
horse care and nutrition: http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/exten/horses/

But people should be aware that the files require something like
Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to read them. The free version to use
with most browsers is available from
http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/

There is a good paper on "Ration Formulation for Horses" at the OSU
site. Based on a chart in this paper ...

Daily nutritional requirement of horses at maintenance and
production (for a horse of 1100 lb mature weight):

Working, mature,=20
intense work light moderate
Body weight 500 lb 500 500
Dig. Energy 33 Mcal 21 25
Crude Protein 2.9 lb 1.8 2.2
Calcium 40g 25 30
Phosphorous 29g 18 21
Vitamin A 22 (1000 IU) 22 22

In another paper on the site, with a *yearling* given as an example,
a ratio of 1.8 times more calcium than phosphorous is recommended.

Natural Glo's contents:
Calcium .02 - .07%
Phosphorous (min) 1.8%

Another site with equine nutrition papers is
http://www.cybersteed.com/ker/respub.html

Now, if I could only understand even half of what all this stuff is
about! ;)

- - -
Jorene
just moseyin' down the California trails ... :)
- - -