Re: Dressage vrs Conditioning - NOT!

Ruth Bourgeois (ruthb@tdsi.net)
Sun, 05 Jan 1997 10:52:54 -0600

ROBERT J MORRIS wrote:

> -- [ From: ROBERT J MORRIS * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

> While the "classical training" may be of some benefit I do not believe that
> this is the proper way to go about conditioning an endurance horse to extend
> its trot.
> >
> While the use of Dressage or the like can help, it can never be a substitute
> for the actual TRUE conditioning done properly on the trail and cross-
> country.
> I agree 100% with your comments above regarding true conditioning. I do
think that you've missed the point a bit here regarding the dressage
training in relation to the conditioning aspect. A horse that is moving
incorrectly (i.e., hollow backed, head high, stiff) will quickly become
sore muscled and possibly lame, which may result in behavioral problems
and chronic unsoundness problems. Many dollars, treatments, much time
later, horse will again have same problems unless he has learned to
carry himself properly when being ridden over the different types of
terrain and distances. An athletic horse may indeed pick these things up
on his own. Unfortunately, many of us have horses that aren't quite that
bright, or physically not able to just pick these things up. That's
where the initial dressage foundation can teach the horse to carry
himself properly, most efficiently, and make up for any conformational
defects that otherwise may result in unsoundness problems.
I agree, the dressage work won't condition a horse to do a long
distance ride. But it will give him a good basis from which to start a
serious conditioning program and expect optimal results, both mentally
and physically. If this were not true - why are there so many endurance
and other distance horses out there with lameness, sore backs, muscle
problems, etc.? Obviously this cannot always be prevented, but a little
dressage work does not hurt! One cannot replace the other; it would make
sense to do both when the circumstances call for it.
>From my limited experience in distance riding (with a comformationally
challenged horse!), this is my humble opinion, for what it's worth :)

Ruth Bourgeois