Re: Racism on Endurance Net

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Sun, 22 Dec 1996 16:30:05 -0800

I am not a member of AERC. I have no knowledge of the accuracy or
confidentiallity of anything Teddy might have posted. The snipped content
of your current post is therefore not of my concern. You accused the
endurance net of being racist because of an e-mail name and suggested
therefore it should be censored. I quote your previous post:

"Steph, I hope you read this an DO SOMETHING about this message with its
obvious racial slur as well as the unsupported incorrect replies to it."

----------
> From: BOBBCKWRDS@aol.com

> [snip]
>
> 1. Yes I would volunteer to screen all e-mail for validity

You were objecting to an e-mail name. Going to screen those. Will posters
will need to supply proof on anything said? Probably only if it is
personally objectional to the screener. And then we can wait 24 hours or
so for something to be posted.

> 4. As for whether Steph is ultimately responsible for the content that
> remains long term on the system, if not Steph then who ?

Nobody. Its history and you can't rewrite it. IF it is a racist slur, I
will happily write a message condemning it. I think you need to understand
a little bit about discussion groups. Ridecamp is a unmoderated discussion
group. It is not presreened for content let alone e-mail names. If you
prefer to operate in moderated forums, that is your right.

> I never stated Steph should scan the e-mail, instead, brought it to her
> attention.

How the hell is she supposed to control it if she doesn't scan it.

> I think debating whether the name was real or an attempt to present a
racial
> bias or slur is not going to lead anywhere.

I agree, but that was the central thrust of your previous post. Do you
withdraw the accusation.

> We ARE pursuing this with AOL. If only to see what linkage, if any, there
may
> be between the origination of the message, and AERC or any of its'
members.
> At this time all they have provided has been the main sign on for the
master
> account ID.

> As to whether the name is indeed bias, a slur or appropriate... perhaps
you
> should contact the NAACP. Their members may be willing to provide input
as
> to their opinion of the content as well as how any attitude that defends
> these actions could impact the non-discriminatory requirements of any
501-C-X
> corp such as VTC or AERC.

What action am I defending. I do not know who JoMamaBlak is or if she
exists. If it is a racist slur I will not defend it, but condemn it. But
you don't know and I don't know. If JoBlak is a variation on her name, it
clearly isn't. Are we now required to change our name because someone
finds it objectional? Besides, I thought I just read "I think debating
whether the name was real or an attempt to present a racial bias or slur is
not going to lead anywhere."

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net