Re: Racism on Endurance Net

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Sun, 22 Dec 1996 12:21:54 -0800

I am not a part of this controversy. I have never met anybody on this list
personally. But I cannot let this kind of garbage go unchallenged.

Even assuming JoMamaBlak is not from somebody with the name of Jo Blak, Jo
Black or Jo Blake, there is no way a list server can screen for
inappropriate names. If you have a beef, it is with AOL for allowing the
name (or forgery - and if it is a forgery there is insufficient information
in the remail header to determine). To take anyone to task over this is
outrageous. To ask Steph to play name policemen shows a extreme ignorance
on how list servers work. Perhaps you would like the job of screening
every e-mail name for inappropriateness in every language possible. If the
post is a forged name, then the question is which side of the controversy
planted it and for what purpose. Teddy appears not to have relied on this,
but checked with an AERC director. Whether she has received accurate
information, time will tell.

I am sure this is not the only flame you will receive - they are all
richly deserved. I might add, this is the first deliberate flame I have
felt the need to post.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net