Re: Icelandics

RUN4BEAR@aol.com
Sun, 22 Dec 1996 07:54:56 -0500

Leif Neland writes:

They can do shorter distances, a days jurney on the Icelandic plains (or
what
it is called) is around 40-50 km, well around 30 miles.
And then you have 2-3 horses per man. Not really allowed in the usual

LJ> I am sure they can go the distance (and keep
LJ> going and going and ...) but with their muscle mass (if indeed
LJ> they are as muscular as their pictures look) can they meet
LJ> criteria at vet checks in the allotted time?

It has been tried, but they are really too insulated for enduring endurance.

Leif Neland<<<

I really believe you can train just about ANY horse to do endurance,
conformation and health permitting. More long slow miles in training...I saw
what the Icelandics did at GAHR, so I know some can do it.

Teddy