importance of checks

tina hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 11:29:41 -0600

At 11:48 AM 12/20/96 -0400, Truman Prevatt wrote:
>Actually i think that close rides are won in the vet checks - not on the
>trail.

========
I have found this to be VERY true. On more than one occassion this year I
have been astonished with my final placing (meaning I might have made it
into the top 20 <g>) as I has started at the back or even after everyone and
made no effort to pass anyone - but what I (or rather the horse <g>) had
(has) are good recoveries. On those rides in particular I could come in and
go straight thru - only stopping to drop tack if I needed to.

Now, that is not nearly as impressive as the story about Rio :-) - however,
it lends credence to the importance of recoveries AND teaching your horse to
come in and *drink*.

I literally watched (on the HRM) Embers fall from 140 (we had been cantering
for several miles) to 60 in 4 gulps of water - exactly. That's when it
really hit home how important a vet check is to you if you are riding
competitively that day.

These animals simply amaze me!

Tina - easily amazed and amused
hickst@nichols.com