Re: ridecamp-d Digest V96 #52

Fred & Cheryl Dzida (dzida@agt.net)
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 09:41:23 -0800

Rebecca Hackworth wrote:

> Fred & Cheryl Dzida wrote:
> >
> > Hi, ridecamp:
> > I sent in a couple questions the other day and have not seen them posted.
> > Perhaps you can tell new users like myself how to join in. I thought all
> > I had to do was reply to the Digest.
> > My questions again are 1) Does anyone have info on dealing with alsike
> > clover poisoning. One of my horses shows photosensitivity and no one
> > here can advise me on how long it takes to seriously harm the horse.
> > 2) This same 6 yr old 3/4 arab has a resting (sleeping) heartbeat of 12
> > beats/15 seconds, even after a summer of good conditioning. This
> > eliminates him from CTR, although not from Endurance. Can this heartrate
> > be improved over time? Do I find another horse with a slower heart rate
> > to start with? Chauncey at dzida@agt.net
>
> /Are you counting the pulse with a stethoscope? Are you finding
> lub/dub? If not , you may be counting the same beat as two beats. Ask
> someone else to listen too.,
>
> Becky I have had more experienced PR's take his pulse, yes, with a
stethoscope. I'm not into the sport enough to have the electronic
gadgets, as much as I'd like to. Do I dare say I'm still riding in a
cutting saddle? Now you know how green I am at Endurance!
For the conditioning regimen, I was riding lots. We have some good
training trails and hills on grazing lease here in northern Alberta. We
also spent 15 days on a packhorse rocky mountain trip before the ride. I
do not have a routine, but the conditioning included long, slow rides, as
well as shorter, fast rides several times a week. The (very experienced)
vet was shocked at his PR scores and said by looking at him, and vetting
him, he gave him top points. I might add that Easter is a 15.3 3/4 Arab
with TB & QH blood, and is bigger boned and heavier muscled then your
Endurance Horses. He may just not be the right type, although that day
he was the(CTR) judges type. I have a couple others I can bring along.
What are your recommendations for basic conditioning - I have the 6 yr
old, a 5 yr Arab/Morgan, and a 4 yr old full brother to Easter who is
much more the arab endurance build. Perhaps, if this takes to long by
email, there is some literature you could recommend. Info is hard to
come by up north, and most rides are a long ways away.Cheryl Dzida,
Grande Prairie, AB