Re: Disunited Trot

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 20:24:46 -0800

Please do not interpret the following questions as a flame but rather as an
attempt to obtain a lanquage clarification. The visual picture of the
poster as captured by the language description is, I suspect, leaving me
with a visual picture the writer did not intend.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net

----------
> From: elammal@erols.com
>
> The disunited trot is not a gait - it is instead an incorrect movement
> brought on by either the rider and inproper use of the reins or a back
> problem in the horse or by the horse being pushed into such a fast trot
that
> it becomes disorganized or slowed so much that it trots in front and
walks
> in back (see western pleasure).

This same description has been used to describe the running walk. Since a
trot is by defintion a simultaneous (or nearly so) foot fall of the
diaganols (and therefore requires both front and hind feet), please explain
in detail what is meant by trotting on the front legs only.

> In the extended trot the horse reaches as far under the belly as he can
with
> his hind legs and brings the forelegs correspondingly forward. However,
> should the foreleg reach beyond the nose before touching the ground, he
> would have to withdraw the leg to touch down. This is incorrect, and is
> called "flinging" the front legs - it usually indicates that the hindlegs
> are not bearing weight and pushing off.

How can the horse make any forward progress unless the back feet are
pushing off. Less weight bearing, perhaps but none? Try dragging you body
forward without closing your hand around something.

> [snip]
> The trot is indeed a "gait of choice" by all riding disciplines up to a
> point. The reason is that because a front and a back leg are always on
the
> ground, the horse is in "balance" (that being a relative term) with a
rider.

I assume you mean other than when all the feet are off the ground. Does
this make an ambling gait even a better choice (2/3 feet on the ground at
all times). :-)