Re: Ramey's lecture on Burdens of Proof

Joane Pappas White (lyoness@castlenet.com)
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 19:32:07 -0700

>------------------------------
>Ramey did a wonderful job of explaining the basic principles of law
involved in drug testing(my law school tort's professor would have
approved). Unfortunately, the law often places too much faith in science and
misuses these tests. I am currently representing a number of very young
athletes in a federal district court case against their school because the
school thought "the thing speaks for itself"! I don't know what the
reliability of the equine drug tests are but if they are no better that the
field tests for people then the procedures should be weighed heavily in
favor of a presumption of innocence. False positives are common in most drug
tests and you can seriously defame someone as a result. Skepticism is
well-founded.

(Ramey--We took up endurance riding to get away from this stuff, remember?)

Joane